Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Simulations Teaching Strategy Reflection

When you evaluate yourself, you should consider the rubric that is attached. You should address the strengths and what you would do differently - not just an agenda or description of what happened.

Use of Model: The intention of the model was closely followed throughout the activity. Though, this model offered a different approach than my previous model, where I had to explain the model throughout implementation, the four steps were completed. I believe each step presented individuals with clarification of what they were expected to complete.

Activity: This activity was used before the in-depth explanation of the model. Though, as I mentioned above, the model asked a brief explanation of what a simulation entails. The main activity using SimSchool was an appropriate representation of a simulation that is of excellent use for grade students and educators. The activity SimSchool provided a well-rounded experience of the expectations and needs of individual students within a classroom and allows for appropriate responses to meet these needs. In the future, I would like to turn this into more of a flipped learning experience where the class can access the educational backgrounds of the individuals within the activity to read before beginning with the lesson. Though I wish SimSchool allowed for more free response, I thought I represented a well-rounded experience. I would use this activity again as an educator, and I would suggest it to other beginner and experienced educators for practice.

Model: Each of the four steps were thoroughly explained and demonstrated throughout the activity. While reviewing the steps, I was able to show the class exactly how we used the model within the activity. The material was presented in a clear format that allowed the class to understand and see the connections. The model was presented in full as well as explained.

Presentation: The presentation provided the classmates with the most relevant information that was organized in an easy way to follow. The presentation consisted of slides and an introductory video. The text on the slides was condensed and to the point and provided examples when necessary.

Handout: The handout offered individuals with detailed information about each step and addressed the main teacher roles of use. The handout also provided students with examples of a variety of different simulations for each subject area allowing them to explore and utilize this strategy within their classroom easily.

Class discussion & Questions: The discussion between the class provided a thorough review of strengths, weaknesses, relationships, and adaptations. Each aspect of the discussion was touched on, however, due to time restraints the discussion was cut shorter than anticipated.

When you reflect, you need to consider your learning about the topic based on your prior experiences -how does it link or what did it make you realize, and how might it relate to what you have been thinking about doing. Also think about your learning as you prepared, as you presented and the interactions with classmates.

Overall: Using this teaching strategy within my classroom has been something I wanted to implement for a long time. I first dived into this topic during the spring of 2016 within Dr. Cantu’s Technology Infusion course when we looked into how the United States Army was using simulations with youth to promote the program. As I looked further into simulations within this class I realized the benefits of using the model as a way to introduce each simulation, as well as how many different simulations are out there to aid educational topics. While searching for the perfect activity to use with the class, the number of topics made it hard to choose. I ended up settling with SimSchool, which I thought did a wonderful job simulating a real-life classroom, to a certain point. Though the experience was quick, I thought the other group members also enjoyed the activity. If I were to present this topic again, I would like to allow each teammate to first look over the student background and then move through the activity on their own to gain practice. I look forward to working with more simulations in my classroom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment