When you evaluate yourself, you should consider the rubric that is attached. You should address the strengths and what you would do differently - not just an agenda or description of what happened.
Use of Model: I consider one strength of my presentation on creative problem solving as closely following the intended model brought about by Parnes. Each step allowed for students to learn the intended information and presented individuals with a chance to practice the model as intended.
Activity: The activity was presented before the explanation of the model occurred. The activity dealt with students answering the broad question of, “How will we prepare ourselves for the first day of school?” This question relates directly to the individuals within this grad school class as educators and is applicable to their current situations. Some aspects of the activity seemed to be slightly confusing for some students. In the future, I would like to provide better examples and further explanation to increase understanding.
Model: Each facet of the creative problem solving model was thoroughly explained and demonstrated in the activity. Each of the five facets was first demonstrated in the group activity and then explained with a simple definition. During the time each facet was explained, I went back to the part of the demonstration where the model step was used to allow students to see the relation. Students were also able to hear the student and educator roles specifically to increase understanding. Techniques I used within this model were strategies that Parnes suggested for successful idea output and discussion.
Presentation: The presentation provided students with the most relevant information even though the model demonstrated was one of the original CPS models adapted by Parnes. The newest models were briefly explained towards the end of the presentation. The presentation offered an appropriate use of presentation tools by allowing students to participate in the activity, use of cueing music clips, and visual and audio presentation slides. Next time, I would like to incorporate a more tactile component to increase student participation.
Handout: The handout created offered a brief explanation of the topic with a detailed analysis of each facet of the model. The steps were explained with both individual student roles and teacher roles with a model visual. The end of the handout offered an explanation of the main ideas to clarify any misconceptions as well as techniques to stimulate idea output and development to aid educators in using the techniques within this activity. I believe the handout was clear, concise, and complete and did not require any changes.
Class discussion & Questions: The group adequately discussed strengths, weaknesses, relationships to research areas and areas within this class, relationship to strategies, adaptations, and application as to how it would be used within each individual’s classroom. I was able to guide the group through the different components, addressing misconceptions and ideas if necessary. I would not change anything from the discussion and questions.
When you reflect, you need to consider your learning about the topic-based on your prior experiences -how does it link or what did it make you realize, and how might it relate to what you have been thinking about doing. Also think about your learning as you prepared, as you presented and the interactions with classmates.
Overall: This teaching strategy is not one that I have encountered before on a large scale. I believe I have touched on basic components but have not completed it in full. I believe it is a successful strategy to use for situations in which an individual does not know where to begin to solve a problem. However, I feel on simple problems, it would not be the best strategy to use. By taking a broad problem and simplifying it with brainstorming and quantitative data, which I appreciated, an individual can simplify a broad problem by breaking it down until a solution is formed. Throughout this process, an individual easily goes through creative, critical, divergent, and convergent thinking without struggling. I would like to use this within my classroom as an introductory activity to a new concept to allow students the chance to find their own direction without getting too overwhelmed.
As I prepared for this presentation I wanted to make sure I had enough information included to make it beneficial to all involved. Without using this strategy before, I was slightly nervous that the process was not going to work well as the readings suggested. What I found was that presenting this topic moved nicely through each step. With direction, the group members were able to come to the conclusions that I was looking for and gain a meaningful experience. I believe that the interactions between each of the individuals and the interactions with the material being presented went much better than anticipated.
No comments:
Post a Comment